Friday, November 14, 2008

Hymn of the Pearl



Within the Acts of Thomas is an extraordinary Syriac poem,The Hymn of the Pearl (also known as the Hymn of the Robe of Glory and the Hymn of the Soul). The poem is thought to be older than the Acts of Thomas. It is inserted in different places in different versions of the Acts found among early Greek and Syriac Christian traditions.

Within the Hymn of the Pearl there are a few lines of poetry that are intriguing. These lines, referred to as the “two images segment,” seem to have been inserted into the hymn. This is one common translation of those lines with optional interpretations (other translations appear after the fold):

Suddenly, I saw my image on my [burial] garment like in a mirror

Myself and myself through myself [or myself facing outward and inward]

As though divided, yet one likeness

Two images: but one likeness of the King [of kings]

3 comments:

Angel said...

How does this poem connect with your own life experiences? It is as if you have gone through many changes in your journey. Well everyone does, you mention various experiences from meditation, to tapping into the superconsciousness, to technical scientific aspects of the universe and not necessarily in that order...what experience resulted in the cause of change that occurred when you decided to stick with your own 'prejudices' and not be open to other ideas when in fact you HAD ACTUALLY experienced them previously?

Joseph said...

Sorry Christine: I'm not sure I understand your question. Looks like you have understood me to be a stickler to my own prejudices, and not open minded. What, pray tell, led you to that conclussion? I'm not criticising your conclussion - I'm just curious about how it came about.

Angel said...

Wasn't thinking you were critcizing my point of view, just that i was connecting various points in which you mentioned from previous discussions that's all. so was curious if the 'prejudices' you mentioned in your previous topic relates with various view points that link to our whole way of thinking.